18 August 2009

Hunches...

I have a hunch. My workplace in Korea will perpetually test my patience. The basis for my hypothesis?

Reason One: I STILL don't know when my employer actually wants me in the country. First I heard they wanted me August 25. That's next week. School starts Tuesday, September 1 (two weeks from now) but they have not given me an arrival date. Someone at a partner agency called today to say I can come August 27. Next Thursday. Talk about short notice!

Reason Two: It took my employer TWO WEEKS to give me a Visa Issuance Number. It takes four days to obtain a visa, and that's only if the Korean Consulate isn't slammed. If they really want me there NEXT WEEK, which isn't confirmed, this is all going to have to happen quickly...

Reason Three: What about plane tickets? I mean, they're paying for it, but getting an international ticket on this short of notice means big bucks for them... why not just think ahead, and save several hundred dollars?

Reason Four: What grades am I teaching? How many classes am I teaching? Who knows! Not me! All I've been told is I'm working at Seongnam Elementary School, and working hours are 8:30-4:30pm, Monday through Friday.

Unfortunately, the list just goes on...

But I also have another hunch. My workplace in Korea will provide one of the more fulfilling, challenging, and transformative experiences I've had. The basis for my hypothesis?

Reason One: I'm teaching at an elementary school. Though I don't know whether I'll have four or five classes a day, and I don't know what grade(s) I'll be teaching, we all know that Korean children are among the ranks of the most adorable on the planet.

Reason Two: Though I've heard mixed reviews about Korean students, the vast majority say they are obedient and eager to learn. Sounds like a good deal to me!

Reason Three: I have a co-teacher. Now, I don't have to be stressted about knowing enough Korean to communicate with my students when they don't understand my English. Her name is Ms. Kim and we'll be teaching together all year. We've exchanged a few emails, and she's hilarous. Well, her attempts at replying to my emails in English are hilarous anyway. I have no doubt that we'll have a good time together.

Reason Four: I've been taking an online Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) class. At the end of the course, I receive a TEFL Certificate. Not only do I get paid more by the school, but I'll have WAY more confidence in the classroom.

Needless to say, I have much anticipation about what is coming. I will be living in a studio-style apartment in Bundang, just two subway stops south of the school, which is in Seongnam City. Both are located within the larger metropolis that is Seoul, but are far enough away from the hub of the city that I won't feel completely overwhelmed by the sights, smells, and amount of people.

As for now, my room is strewn with boxes and suitcases, most of my friends are in Seattle or elsewhere, and both my siblings are back to school. I've got a few more last-minute-wrap-up errands and a little more packing to finish, but by and large I'm ready to go.

Next Thursday, here I come. Gotta love it...

9 comments:

  1. Way to go Kel!!!
    I admire your heart not only in your acceptance to follow wherever they tell you, but in your grateful spirit with what you have. You're incredible, and I'll keep in touch for sure.
    -Gunner

    ReplyDelete
  2. 555 (Thai: ha, ha, ha) Welcome to Asia. I was always amazed at how long it took to do things. "Hurry up and wait" is a phrase you may use a great deal! Hope you get there. . . When you do you will be awesome! I have full confidence that you will be successful in all you do, with God's help, of course. Stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited you are blogging--can't wait to follow it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley BuchholtzAugust 20, 2009 2:51 PM

    Kelly, you're hilarious. It's pretty cool that you don't know what you'll be doing.. cuz that way you can't imagine it all out in your brain and realize that you had it completely wrong once you get there. :) I'm really really glad I got to see you before I left... even though it was only 20 minutes or so. Thank you for being such an encouragement in my life. I'm so excited for all you'll be doing this upcoming year! You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kel, you'll do awesome! and yes of course this will test your patience and trust but you are going to come out of this an even stronger woman with so many life experiences! I can't wait to see what comes of this adventure.
    I will be praying for you and if allowed, sending you love letters :)
    Enjoy your last few days at home and in the states...love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly,

    I am really pleased that you are launching off on this great adventure. Kristen Daley will be so envious;) God Speed, and please update often.

    Love,

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kel, hahaha it's kinda interesting for me to read this because I've had so many friends and family do this exact thing. There's this thing called Korean time. You are going to have to embrace it about us Koreans. It kinda drives me crazy too, but that's just how they roll. So be patient. Let things roll and laugh about it. :) As for Bundang-- you're gunna love it. My cousins live there and it's close enough to see a lot of the city whenever you want but it's actually a pretty big area in itself. Lots of mega churches in that area too. (I do know an English ministry at a church in Bundang if you're interested!)

    I am so excited for you & to hear all your funny stories! It's always fun to get another point of view! :)

    Keep yo head up. You'll be sweatin' it for a little while.

    love to you<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelly -- glad you arrived safely in South Korea. We know you will do a great job for this organisation that hired your services and for all your students.What a wonderful experience and have a wonderful time !! With much love.
    Nana and Papa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kelly..congratulations on your committment to South Korea....and Happy Canadian Thanksgiving....theres snow on the ground in Regina so enjoy the warmth in your new home.

    Stu and Dana Rathwell

    ReplyDelete