20 September 2009

One Month? Really?

I had octopus soup for lunch today. Again. One month ago, on my FIRST DAY, we had octopus soup. Nothing says "Welcome to our school!" like chewy purple tentacles...

But it wasn't so bad the second time around. I actually ate the octopus this time, didn't gag, and flushed it down with some kimchi. I think I'm growing out of my culture shock. I actually like kimchi now, I can down octopus soup like a champ, and I stopped bringing snacks to school for fear of what they would serve for lunch.

Oh wait -- I forgot about the pig intestines. That was "lunch" my second day at school. Day 1 = octopus soup. Day 2 = pig intestines. Can you imagine how much I was dreading Day 3?? Ahh! What have I gotten myself into?! I'm going to starve here! But Day 3 was curry and the menu has been bearable ever since.

Much has happened since I last blogged. I had my first visit from home. I had orientation/training. I spent a weekend farming in a rural part of Korea. I saw my first dog farm. I've fought against spiders and fleas in my apartment (stupid fleas won't leave). I've had sleepovers on the roof with the gals and breakfast every Saturday morning at an American pancake joint, Butterfingers. I've been teaching over 700 students a week. Then I got sick. But I bought Korean sinus medicine for a whopping $1.50USD (universal health care is glorious) and got better OVERNIGHT. No joke. Koreans don't mess around. This weekend is Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving) and I have a 5 day weekend. We're going to go camping on the beach.

Enjoy the pics, videos, and stories!


I am of the impression that friendly faces in a foreign land are ranked among the most beautiful and cherished gifts of life.

My dear friend and former roommate came to visit. Lindsey is actually the reason I'm in Korea. Last November she decided to come teach here, but then she ended up staying in Seattle and I'M the one living and working in Asia. Life has a funny sense of humor.

She was only here for six days, but how I treasured our time together! We traveled around Seoul, visiting all the hot spots. We got lost on buses. We ate weird food. She got to experience what my day-to-day life is like in Korea. But the thing I treasure most is the time we had to TALK. I've been going through a very intense period of transition and adjustment, and being able to externally process it for the first time was an indescribable gift.

My favorite moment from her trip:





The guy on my left became my new boyfriend within 2 minutes of our initial meeting.


The guy on Lindsey's right just kept saying "I love you. I love you," while trying to get a hug.






Let me explain. These guys work at a candy stand, making homemade, fresh Korean candy. These stands are all over the city. My Aunt Holly actually told me about this stuff before I left, emphatically telling me that I just HAD to find this stuff and try it.

She wasn't kidding.

I have a hilarious video of them making the candy, but it's not loading right now. Here are a few others for you to enjoy!







Then there are rooftop sleepovers with breakfast the morning after.


And cultural drum dances to start orientation, as well as a photo of some of the other elementary public school teachers in my area.



And finally, farming in rural Korea.

I spent the weekend pruning tomatoes, kickin it with some awesome Korean college students...




... and stumbling across my first dog farm. Hundreds and hundreds of cages full of dogs, all of which will end up on someone's plate at a restaurant. And the worst part? I got closer look at the dogs, and I'm about 80% sure they were Rhodegian Ridgebacks. My aunt has TWO Rhodegian Ridgebacks... as pets. I took a picture of a few in the cage, but I don't think I'll post it. Reminds me too much of Cooper and Sophie... sorry Aunt Holly. Gotta love those cultural differences :)


Well folks, that's all for now. As you can see, I've been keeping busy! I'll be sure to send another update soon.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, is all I can say. You make me wish that I was there....great blogging and great experiences.

    Can't wait for you and Scot to get together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KELLY!!!!!!! I'm loving your blog so much! Keep it up! :)
    PS: Abolition just started this past Monday... :) heh
    it's gonna be pretty different this year.
    MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete